Welcome

Welcome to my blog. The purpose here is simple: to chronicle my thoughts, actions, plans, and goals in getting healthy in the year 2017. Feel free to look around and offer encouragement or suggestions.

Sunday, January 2, 2011

What Had Happened Was

Happy New Year! I'm a day late, I know, but I was in Washington DC and consequently away from my computer. I always expect the new year to feel drastically different than the last. This year, like every other, it seems like today feels pretty much like the day before(or in this case the day before the day before). I expected this year especially to feel different because of the huge challenge I've placed in front of myself. I don't know if I should take it positively or not that I feel like the same old me. This doesn't mean anything really in terms of completing my goals. I guess after I told everyone under the sun about my goals, started this blog, and spent the last month psyching myself up the after midnight moment ended up being a little anticlimactic.

It doesn't help that the first two days haven't gone the way I envisioned. I realize now that I never factored in travel. Sticking to the plan is simple enough when I'm home, on familiar territory, with my kitchen and my pantry and my foodstuffs. It is an entirely different matter when you have no supplies, no kitchen, and no idea when you'll be eating next. That said I'm affording myself a little flexibility for the first and second of January, but from here on out it's on! I began yesterday with a big greasy breakfast from Hardee's...it's a great hangover cure, effective if not healthy.  I didn't go to the gym, but I did spend five consecutive hours walking around the DC Zoo and the Smithsonian, so I feel like that is a fair trade. Today I was supposed to be a vegetarian, but that didn't play out either.

I started the day with the best intentions, planning to skip the fast food places in favor of a Chinese place where I could get a yummy vegetarian option that wasn't fried or salad. I pulled over at a likely spot and found a buffet. It really wasn't what I was going for but it was what I had found after about 20 minutes of searching so it would have to do. I planned to ignore the meat options and hit up the noodles and veggies.

And then they charged me $14. Up front.

I couldn't bring myself leave because I was really hungry. And after a first plate of sticking to the plan I couldn't feel good about spending 14 bucks on veggies and noodles either. So I ate some meat. The worst part is that I felt so bad about breaking my promise to myself that I couldn't even enjoy it. It was probably delicious, because that first plate was, but I was so focused on the fact that I wasn't supposed to be eating it it just wasn't good. So I've promised myself that to make up for my slip, Tuesday will be my vegetarian day this week. And I'm cooking a vegetarian dinner as I type, since I'm finally home. And for tomorrow I'll be back on track.

I've decided I need a reset day. That being a day of the week where I start over, the foibles of the previous week forgotten and forgiven. Since the year began on a Saturday, Saturday will be my reset. For now, I'm off to a rocky start, but at least I drank my water. Something is better than nothing, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment